Chemshaw 13 Donutz and Comics

Coming from a Latin heritage it is quite normal to hardly ever eat out. Three home cooked meals a day was the way I grew up. I of course followed in my mommas footsteps, not to mention I am as frugal as my father was. Sure on the occasion I will do an Olive Garden or a Chilli's but that is even rare any more.

Recently Damien and I put together a bucket list and on mine was to enjoy the little things in life. Trying new eateries & driving like we did when we were newly married, trying that little hole in the wall. You know the ones...where the shop owners are the cooks and usually the waiter too.

Our friends were over on Sunday and super excited to tell us about this small comic-book shop. You see Damien has always loved  comic-books and all things super hero. He has been a collector since he was only 6 years old. Still loves to dress up. Last year for his birthday I surprised him with tickets to comic-con. Yup...I am just that Awesome! LOL.

So in our discusion they say...oh by the way they are also a donut shop and they make their donuts fresh everyday right there in the shop.
That's when I really started paying attention to the convo going on. I was so surprised & thought what an unusual mix!

So we planned the date and headed out on Monday. Damien was super excited! We even ate lunch at the local Cafe' and figured we would have donuts for dessert. We walked the square and realized that the shop was located in an old bank at the end of the square. We could smell the donuts all the way down the block. But when we got there the shop was closed. YUP they are closed on Monday's & we were so disappointed!!!!

We are pretty relentless however so we made the drive back out to Crown Point again on Wednesday.
This time we parked right in front of the shop. Oh boy...this time we knew they were open for sure. The smell coming from the shop was just Amazing!!!! It was different from Monday. The smell was much stronger and in the air I could taste the freshness of just made donuts.

As we entered the shop it was smaller than I envisioned it to be but it had such a quaint, comfortable feel to it.I thought I would be drawn immediately to the donuts but I headed straight to the back where I realized that they actually were utilizing the original bank vault. The door was really cool and added to the whole appeal of this little shop. I was also pleasantly surprised to see what a selection of donuts they offered. From creative cupcakes to specialty donuts. The coffee was even good. Our experience here was really delightful and we plan on taking the kids. I was surprised to see how kid friendly they are too. They had a nice size tv. playing "The Croods" & offered a small variety of candy as well as a selection of kid friendly comic books.



Prices are quite reasonable.





Donut's galore!

This is their doughnut making machine.

Our coffee was hot and tasted great!

Our delicious choice.

 This is the bank vault. The door was really neat and loved what it added to this unique shop.
To the right are stairs. I was told they hold events on occasion in that upstairs area.

Damien checking out the selection. He could not resist the creepy mask to the upper right.

 Really nice comfortable seating area. Perfect for reading or just sipping coffee.

This table really was a great piece of art.

They sell art work from local artist.

 They have a nice selection of inventory to choose from all though small and limited I felt.

Exterior of the old bank.


It is on the South side of the square. 
Since it is a one way street one has 
to drive around the courthouse to get to it.
 
Just remember they are closed on Mondays. Their hours are:
Monday: Closed
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: 8am-5pm
Friday & Saturday: 8am-7pm
Sunday: 8am-3pm
Or Till They Are Out!





CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top