Chicken & Cheese Quesadillas with other Creative Options

So this week I posted an image of quesadillas I had made for Damien and the kids and FB went nuts. I received so many messages I figured I'd make a post on exactly how I do them.

These have always been one of my families favorites and super inexpensive to make. I use to go through a really extensive process of boiling chicken & shredding it than seasoning it. Than one day I made it with canned chicken and I have never gone back... Sssshhh don't till my family, I don't think they ever noticed

INGREDIENTS:
1 - Can of 12.5 oz Chicken
3-4 - Packs of Flour Tortillas (10oz small)
1- Pack of 7 oz Shredded Cheese

OPTIONAL:
Everyday seasoning (Pepper, Salt, Garlic) , Sour Cream, Salsa, Quacamole

Before I explain how easy these are to make lets go over what brands I use. There are so many options out there, especially regional options so feel free to substitute with your favorites. I am only mentioning my favorites in case you live locally and if can be of help, than GREAT!

I use to buy my canned chicken at Sam's Club and I loved it. However I decided to drop my membership when we re-did our monthly/yearly food budget. I am ok with that because since than I have been using Walmart's canned chicken and I love it just as much (since I have been told it's the same chicken with different packaging). Not only is Walmart's  canned chicken affordable but inexpensive.

For flour tortillas I am a bit picker. I for the most part I stick to Nuevo Leon and Mission if I have too. Keep in mind that tortillas come in all sizes from 10oz - 16oz . I stick to the small 10oz for this recipe. For a few reason... It fits in my frying pan better & well the FUN part is popping them in your mouth. So more delicious triangles as apposed to just a few big ones. 
I think in a future post I will share my tortilla making recipe.... Nothing beats fresh... YUM!

so now that bring me to shredded cheese. I normally stick to Kraft and I use all kinds of blends. It just depends on whats on sale that week. The kids really like the Mexican or the Fiesta Blend but I have used Mozzarella & Colby, even a Parmesan Blend before.  

Step 1.)
Place your canned chicken in a bowl and smash so it shreds. Than season it to taste add your shredded cheese and mix all together.
(I usually normally use the red cap Adobo for seasoning because it is just a pre-mix of Seasoned Salt, Garlic and Pepper in one step. I'll go over Adobo by Goya in another post.)

Step 2.) 
Spray your frying pan or spread a table spoon of oil. You don't need much oil, just enough that the tortilla doesn't burn. You might have to add a bit more oil as you go along. Set pan to low heat.
(Since Damien's health issues I have started using Olive Oil Spray and Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
Also these are great to make on a cast iron which I sometimes also use.)

Step 3.) 
In the frying pan add your first tortilla and layer about a table spoon of cheese and chicken mix. Now don't over add the mix because your cheese will spread. Add your top tortilla.  Be patient as it takes heat. Once the bottom is crispy flip over to the other side so that it can crisp up too.
4.) 
I use a pizza cutter to cut into little triangles. Serve up with your favorite salsa, guacamole and or sour cream.

Here is another option which I occasionally use and that is to use an electric quesadilla cooker. 
I have this little Fiesta one and it was given to me over 12 years ago by Damien's grandmother so I cherish it!!! But you can actually find them inexpensively now for under $25. If you shop smart during black Friday I have seen them sell for $10. The thing about using it is that it heats/cooks the top and bottom of the quesadilla at the same time. It also creates those nice cutting lines for you (it does not cut the quesadilla though so you still need to use the pizza cutter).
The great thing about quesadillas is that you can get creative with what you put in them from pork to steak, veggies and even make dessert like in the image below with cream cheese and strawberries. So get creative in the kitchen and Have FUN!!!

 

 

Would love to hear from you, especially if you make them ... Share your images and story with me!!!!


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top